Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wanderers gone wild!

Tan: "I almost walked 500 miles!" Well we are close to Scotland, so a Proclaimers reference is applicable.

Stratford-Upon-Avon is absolutely gorgeous and renowned as being the birthplace of Shakespeare. We armed ourselves with a map of the sites to see and I guided the troops around on a walking tour of this very old and interesting place.

We had to drive to the Lake District up north today, so we left after 10am and got on our way. First stop, Kenilworth Castle. OMG this place was HUGE! One of the bigger castles in England, but mainly only ruins. There was a school group there (bit noisy for my liking) and I had to let the teacher know that one of his students purposefully threw their tissue on the ground! He was embarrassed, but thankful. I hate litterers - once a teacher always a teacher!

Next stop, a fantastic little pub for lunch in Stoke-On-Trent. Great spot, delicious food and super cheap. Love that!

Made it to Windermere in the Lake District by 4:30. Our B&B here is clean, comfortable and close to the action. I've been worried about what we'd find at each spot, since I booked it myself online, but so far all places are fantastic!

As there was still a lot of daylight, I rallied the troops and we ended up walking for 2 1/2 hours (hence the blog's title)! We were recommended to see the lookout at Orrest Head and ended up also walking down to the boating area at Bowness On Windermere. Of course we had to walk back, so we really earned our dinner. According to Richard, he earns his dinner just by waking up and shouldn't have to do a big walk to earn it!

Finished off a great day with my family at a divine restaurant called Lazy Daisy's. Sorry Keith, I earned that Sticky Date pudding (another OMG moment) and that sparkling wine!

Rich: Stratford-upon-Avon being the birthplace of old Will Shakespeare, had a lot of the playwright's references dotted around ye olde town. Even the boats you could hire, were named after the female characters in his writings, all tied up along the bursting banks of the river Avon.

We got to see various Shakespearean landmarks, as well as Anne Hathaway's cottage as we left the town on our journey north.

Next on the cards was a stop at Kenilworth Castle. This castle ruin was once owned by a bloke named King John. It was a sight to see. The recreated privy garden from Elizabethan times along with the reconstructed aviary was quite pretty.

Next up, a spot of lunch! A bowl of spicy noodles and a beer entertained my stomach at a pub in Stoke-on-Trent. After that, we rolled onto our final destination for the day.

Arriving in Windermere, we could already see that it was quite a hilly town. We unloaded the car and then we were off on our afternoon stroll. Two and a half hours later after climbing to Orrest Peak and winding our way down to Bowness-on-Windermere we stopped for dinner.

After working up an excellent appetite, I was looking forward to a lot of food. After boasting about how hungry I was to the group and what I could eat, all I could eat was a bowl of seafood risotto and a couple bottles of beer. The others had a good old chuckle at my expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment